Research Projects Analysis of the Potential Risks and Policy Responses of the United States' Withdrawal from the Paris Agreement (Duke Kunshan University, 09/2017-09/2018)
Team Member, Granted by NSFC
- Analyze the strategy of the U.S.’ withdrawal from Paris Agreement and identify potential risks faced by global climate coopeartion.
- Apply text mining method and conduct sentiment analysis to examine the attitudes towards climate change among people and media.
- Make policy simulations and provide suggestions on rationalizing China’s climate policy.
 An Empirical Study of Air Pollution Cost through the Defensive Expenditure Approach (Duke Kunshan University, 03/2017-12/2021)
Key Member, Granted by NSFC
- Develop econometric models to identify the causal relationship between air pollution and defensive behavior.
- Analyze the pattern of responses when individuals are exposed to ambient air pollution.
- Calculate the price of clean air through the defensive expenditure approach.
- Conduct simulations under various air quality scenarios to quantify the benefit of cleaning up the air and make policy recommendations.
 Impacts of Air Pollution on Labor Market and Economy: Analysis through Coupling Econometric and CGE Models (Duke Kunshan University, 10/2017-12/2021)
Team Member, Joint with Tsinghua University and Granted by NSFC
- Establish a multi-region simulation model for China including an air pollution-labor-economic development chain based on econometric model and computable general equilibrium (CGE) model.
- Conduct empirical research on the impact of air pollution on labor productivity and labor supply.
- Simulating the economic impact of changes in labor caused by pollution in different regions and sectors.
 An Economic Analysis of the Top-Level Design of China’s Carbon Market (Duke Kunshan University, 12/2016–Present)
Key Member, Granted by The Energy Foundation
- Summarize the mechanisms and performances of China’s seven carbon market pilots and provide insights for the design of the upcoming national carbon market.
- Investigate the effect of carbon market on local economy and firm’s competitiveness.
- Compare different carbon markets in Asia and provide advice on how to build a transnational carbon market.
- Develop theoretical and empirical methods to analyze the mechanism and key determinants of carbon pricing.
- Evaluate the effect of carbon price on firm’s low-carbon patent innovation.
 Detect Manipulation in Officially Reported Pollution Data (Duke Kunshan University, 12/2016–02/2017)
Research Assistant for Prof. Junjie Zhang
- Make a summary of potential data manipulation cases and detection methods in China.
- Use Benford’s Law, distribution analysis, discontinuity analysis to detect manipulation on pollution data.
 Construction and Application of Cost-Benefit Analysis in Environmental Policy in China (Duke Kunshan University, 11/2016–01/2017)
Team Member, Granted by Ministry of Environmental Protection
- Write review articles on cost-benefit analysis, including therectical and practical backgrounds and its current application in China’s environmental policy-making.
- Identify the key problems of conducting cost-benefit analysis in China in terms of policy design and implementation method.
 Regional Environmental Credit Index System and Policy Mechanism (Duke Kunshan University, 10/2016–03/2017)
Team Member, Granted by Ministry of Environmental Protection of China
- Construct the regional environmental credit evaluation system and use it to restrict local governments and ensure that they will satisfy the needs of people in maintaining a high-quality environment.
- Collect and sort firm’s environmental credit data of Jiangsu Province.
- Investigate the relationship between firm’s environmental performance and its credit based on ordinal logit model and Poisson regression.
 Environmental Regulation and Green Patent Innovation (Wuhan University, 04/2016–12/2016)
Research Assistant for Prof. Jingbo Cui
- Collect patent data of Chinese listed firms from SIPO.
- Use echart.js for data visualization to illustrate the regional and time heterogeneity of patent applications. [link]
- Distinguish environmental patents from others and create a firm-by-year green patent panel dataset.
- Study the impact of a unique environmental regulatory policy called Mandatory Participation in Cleaner Production Audit (CPA) on green innovation of Chinese listed companies.
- Employ a Difference-in-Difference-in-Difference (DDD) approach to verify the positive effect of mandatory CPA participation on firm’s green innovation.
- Investigate the impact of green innovation on firm’s competitiveness in terms of ROA.
- Co-write two papers about environmental regulation, green innovation, and firm’s competitiveness.
 Multidimensional Measure of Marketization Level in Hubei Province (Wuhan University, 02/2016–04/2016)
Research Assistant for Prof. Wei Zou
- Measure and compare China’s provincial real economy marketization level, provincial financial marketization level, provincial internal opening level and provincial opening-up level, using a factor analytical method, and analyze the market vitality of Hubei province.
- Apply regression analysis on the time-series data of Hubei province and the panel data of China’s 31 provinces and cities from 2002 to 2014 to find the main variables affecting economic growth.
- Conduct Granger causality test to analyze the contribution of Hubei’s marketization reform to economic growth and causal relationship between them, and to provide empirical support for marketization reform.
Other Projects Pairs Trading Strategy for China’s Stock Market (Wuhan University, 03/2016–06/2016)
- Participate in a research team to investigate pairs trading of brokerage stocks based on GARCH model and to build a pairs trading strategy for China’s stock market.
- Adopt methods of statistics and financial econometrics to test robustness and volatility of the pairs trading strategy, and conduct empirical test on the effectiveness of the strategy.
 COMAP’s Mathematical Contest in Modeling (01/2016)
Team Member [Introduction Link][Article Link]
- Construct critical temperature model to analyze the best strategy to maintain the temperature for hot bath with least water.
- Conduct numerical simulation in MATLAB and find the optimal temperature level for water.
- Apply Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) to evaluation the effectiveness of bathtubs with different shapes and materials.
 Term Structure of Interest Rates with Monetary Policy Regimes (Wuhan University, 12/2015–03/2016)
- Propose a model that prices nominal bonds and equity in a unified framework and examine their combined term structures in different monetary policy regimes.
- Use this model to study how monetary policy reacts to equity prices between regimes.
- As a natural extension to Ang and Ulrich (2012), investigate how differently the components of equity premium behave in different monetary policy regimes.
- Re-examine the effects of monetary policy on nominal bond risks in a more rigorous regime switching framework and revisit the co-movement of stock and bond returns in a noarbitrage framework.
 The Inflation Hedging Ability of Real Estate Price Index (Wuhan University, 09/2015–12/2015)
- Collect and process time series data about CPI, the Real Estate Index and the Stock Price Index in Hong Kong.
- Conduct ADF test to examine the unit root and apply vector autoregressive model (VAR) to analyze the dynamic path of the spread between CPI and the Real Estate Index
- Conduct the Johansen cointegration test to analyze the cointegration relationship between CPI and the Real Estate Index.
- Apply a Markov switching vector error-correction model and verify that the Real Estate Price Index in Hong Kong can be used to hedge against inflation in the long term.
 Subjective Perception of Personal Wealth Level (Wuhan University, 05/2015–06/2015)
- Lead a team to build an ordinal logistic regression model to analyze the subjective perception of personal wealth level and its influence factors, and thus to help analysis of individual investment choice behavior.
 Chinese Interprovincial Innovation and Productivity (Wuhan University, 10/2014–12/2014)
- Lead a team to investigate the impact of technology advancement on productivity and to find proper indicators to measure the innovation.
- Conduct the cluster analysis to classify the different level of innovation across Chinese provinces and apply the fixed effect model to verify the positive effect of technology advancement on economic development.